Notice under section 148 of Income Tax Act

You can get notice u/s 148 if the assessing officer has a reason to believe that your income which was chargeable to tax has escaped assessment. If he has materials to support his belief, he will record his reasons in writing and send you a notice u/s 148. The AO cannot simply change his mind and decide to re-investigate your case without any valid reason.